Monday, July 21, 2014

Práva Homosexuálů

In the second unit of my summer class, "P'art of History," we talked about rebuilding our Chicago. The second unit that we have been working on is called, "Rebuild." In this unit, we learned about how Chicago has came back from many crisis' in the past. It was really difficult to find an event where Chicago has showed weakness or resilience. I decided to focus my project on Gay Rights. Creating the drawing and carving was even more difficult this time. This project took plenty of time and required very hard research to complete.



"The Práva Homosexuálů Visual" (By DR) Jul 16, 2014. 


By DR
Title: (of your piece) Práva Homosexuálů (Gay Rights)
Medium: (used to create the piece) Linocut/ Clay
Size: (of the piece) 6x6 inches
Date: (Month/Year of completion) July, 2014


The purpose of my art piece is to represent the equality issues in Chicago.

The problem I am addressing is inequality regarding gay rights.

Word has spread that god doesn't believe in homosexual people. The bible says that god put us all on this Earth to reproduce and the only way to do so, is to be involved with someone of the opposite sex. This has lead to political and environmental chaos between gay people and religious people. This has also lead to people all around the world using the term, "gay" and "fag" loosely. I don't really know what the fight is for, god loves all his children.

Based on my Chicago experiences, there are still people here that are completely against gay people, aside from this setback, same-sex marriage was recognized by the U.S. state of Illinois by means of a law signed on November 20, 2013 by Governor Pat Quinn that took effect on June 1, 2014. Despite any resilience Chicago has shown for gay rights, till this day, the government still looks at gay people as second-class citizens. Life isn't only discriminatory but, it can also be expensive for gay people.

All the protests finally got to the government of Illinois. The idea of inequality was supposed be abolished on December 6, 1865, when slavery was outlawed. Is that not true? In doing the signing of same-sex marriage, it allowed the real freedom of our people. When people say "gay rights," it enrages me, because I think they mean "human rights." To say someone can't marry the one they love, they might as well outlaw opposite sex marriage too. Same thing right?

Chicago had their first homosexual rights organization in 1924 and now we have a same-sex marriage law enforced that was finalized by June 1st of 2014. 



Many people have recognized the significance of this subject, such as famous rappers, "Macklemore & Ryan Lewis"



My art piece represents baby mortality. The idea of humans being put on this Earth to reproduce. I drew a picture of a baby with skull eyes to represent the population depletion of infants. The idea I had for this visual was to show what religious people see as result for people being gay. It means if people are gay then they can't reproduce which means extinction of some kind.

There is a style of art called Art Deco and it is used often to describe art in patterns using clean, straight lines. I think the pattern of the skull eyes and the pattern of the face serve as Art Deco because of the clean lines making straight patterns along the face represented as facial features.

Before anything I had to create the circle which represented the face of the baby, the hardest part. Along the face, came the ears and the hair. Then when I was finished, there was a lot more left. I had to create the mouth and eyes. The mouth was quite difficult trying to center it and make it look decent.The eyes were one of the more impossible tasks. For the eyes, instead of eyeballs, I replaced them with skulls which was hard because I still had to carve the rather, small skulls inside the eyes. After I got through with the more difficult work, I just started adding texture the face and made it stand out more. My results are showed at the top of this blog post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment