Friday, March 24, 2017

My Trip to SXSW

I'm an aspiring artist. I rap, sing, produce, and I'm trying to become more versatile with my work. I went to Austin, Texas for the South by South West (SXSW) Festival which was the opportunity of a lifetime, but I was forced to miss school for a couple of days which was quite unfortunate. I think the exchange was probably worth it, seeing as we made a few connections that will do nothing but substantially benefit us down the road. We just have to make sure we keep up our end of the bargain. Unfortunately, in today's hip-hop industry, success is less about skill and more about who you know. It's not really cool, but we have to pander to the status quo.

"ETP" JO. 18 Mar, 2017.

We left on Thursday, March 16th to arrive on Friday, March 17th. The ride was 16 hours so we stopped at a motel on the way there and back. The trip was nice and long. But like the reason we went, music was the main thing that kept us going. Music is so "comfortable." When I say "comfortable," I mean how all the different genres and sounds in music allow for ANYONE to be "comfortable." That's what is beautiful about it right? The possibilities are endless. We are still discovering new things, and music was founded around 500 BC. Is that not weird? Even in 2017, we are still finding ways to change and alter sound to create music. Not even to mention all the things that the human mouth can do. As our music does seem to get more and more repetitive, we probably thought "nothing could get better" a couple decades ago, but now our technology is smarter than us.

Music is important to young people. Without music, I wouldn't know a lot of my friends as much as I do. Music allowed us to develop these relationships. Our group wouldn't be a group without music. Music bring people together, like how it brought people to come see us perform at our venue.

The trip proved to be very important for the group. We had time to reflect on how we feel about one another, and we also did a bunch of networking. The most important thing is making sure we are proud of each other. If we ever have problems, we need to fix them like civilized adults. Otherwise, that would mean there's a little kid in ETP, and there's not!












No comments:

Post a Comment