Tuesday, May 24, 2016

The Teachings of Evolution, Illegal?

For the last project of my Policy course (the last Humanities course of my junior year), we were asked to analyze a controversial case that made it to the Supreme Court. I chose "Scopes' Monkey Trial," which is a case where a teacher (John Scopes) taught his students about Evolution. The teachings of evolution was outlawed in Tennessee at the time. Well, that may sound a bit crazy or excessive, and that's exactly why most people thought that this case was unconstitutional. The purpose of this project is to understand the decisions of the Supreme Court and to dig deeper into finding out how these decisions shape society. I learned that a lot of court cases are very controversial and some may even be called ridiculous. I also learned that the decisions made by the Supreme Court actually do affect society heavily. I think that this project was pretty challenging, but more expressive and informative. This is yet another project where my school allows the student to explore and express themselves. I am quite proud of my work, and I'm super excited about closing out my junior year with a bang!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment